CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

December 19, 2006

English Toffee


Being married to a chef, I am always learning new things. But the interesting part is how I can take those things and use them in life.
For example, I tried to make english toffee for the holidays with my mom. We tried twice and we couldn't get the recipe to take. We stirred constantly and everything, but the toffee ended up really chewy and separated, with butter oozing out of it.
When I tried another recipe later in the week, this time with the aid of my chef, we figured out the problem. My mom and I weren't letting it cook long enough. We panicked and pulled it off the flame before the toffee could reach the right stage. Standing over my chef's shoulder and watching him stir the toffee, I kept stating how it looked like it was going to burn! He told me to just wait and see. Sure enough, the toffee needed more heat and more time.
It is so interesting to see how many people will give up on the things they really want in life because it is not so easy to get. Maybe it will take some sacrifice or a lot of time, but that doesn't mean we don't deserve it or should stop trying for it. God loves us and wants us to be happy, and He knows that happiness comes when we are obedient, faithful and enduring, and through success in overcoming trials.
Next time I am faced with a challenge, I hope I can remember this lesson from my chef and stick it out through the heat, because I know I will get something really great at the end.
The toffee is nearly gone and we still have 5 days until Christmas!! It was that good!

2 comments:

Missy said...

Thanks for sharing your toffee! It was the yummiest part of my day!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome.