When it comes to making enchiladas, I really enjoy the ones that Joe and I make. It's a spin-off from the recipe I grew up with.
Instead of rolling them individually though, as Joe wished I would, I layered the tortillas and the filling like a lasagna. It just seems that no matter what I tried, the tortillas would crack in half while being stuffed.
I've heard you can microwave them first to soften them up, but I haven't tried that recently. I seem to remember it still didn't work that well.
Enter Kroger brand Tortillas! The store brand at Smith's was the cheapest one day so I bought those and they are super soft and very easy to roll without throwing them in the microwave or anything!
So check them out if you are interested in a nice, soft, store-bought tortilla shell.
Our Enchiladas for Two (and a little leftover)
Season (we used Grandpa Lynn's) 2 chicken breasts. Heat a skillet or frying pan to medium and drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil into the pan and allow to heat through. Place chicken breast in pan and allow to cook for 7 or 8 minutes or until brown and golden. Flip and repeat until chicken breast is cooked. Don't over cook the chicken cause it's going into the oven later.*
Let the chicken cool enough to shred it then mix in 1 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 small can green chiles, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Put a little sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Fill enchiladas and lay them in the dish, side by side. Spread any remaining filling on top, then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese, to your liking.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until bubbly, and heated through.
Delicious and easy!
*We find this recipe super convenient using leftovers from a whole chicken bought from the deli the day before or so.

4 comments:
I love to use the raw tortillas from Costco they are soooo good. They are the closest I have found to Cafe Rio's
we don't have a Smith's, but we have a Kroger that carries the Kroger brand. i will have to check them out because tortillas are something that we love and always have in the fridge. ...Milk, Eggs, Torilla shells....
Sounds delicious and I like delicious. No Smith's or Krogers that I know of here, but I'm going to go for it anyway.
I love that you season the chicken with Grandpa Lynn's. I hadn't heard of it before Dave introduced me. Now I season almost all my meat with it (which Dave loves).
Post a Comment